Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Solo Uke, Lake Michigan Sessions by Gerald Ross

Very cool idea. Check 'em out. Gerald is a great player and has an very eclectic taste of songs he records. Although getting up a 7am on vacation is a little strange.

From Gerald Ross

Solo Uke, Lake Michigan Sessions by Gerald Ross



www.geraldross.com/lakemichigan.htm

In August of 2009, my family rented a beach house for a week on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan at Sturgeon Bay. I packed my Talsma tenor ukulele and my portable Zoom digital recorder.
My plan was to record solo ukulele songs using traditional 1920-1950's recording techniques. I've always admired the musicians of that era and their ability to go into the studio and play a song from start to finish flawlessly, starting over if they made a mistake. Here's what I did...

My "studio" was an upstairs bedroom with a panoramic view of Lake Michigan - not bad, eh? At 7am, Monday - Friday. I recorded the following twelve songs in sequence. I recorded each song once (and only once) during that day's session. If wasn't happy with my performance or made a mistake during the cut, I would not record a retake until the next day's session.

No comments: